Thursday, September 20, 2012

Black ops 2: A fresh idea or just another rehashed CoD?

There's been a lot of hype around the newest game in the Call of Duty franchise, Black Ops 2. Now I have enjoyed Black Ops and the Modern Warfare games, even if they weren't games I played very much of. The real question here is will BO2 redefine what people expect from CoD or will it be more of the same?


Black Ops 2 features returning Black Ops characters Sgt. Frank Woods and Agent Alex Mason, joined by a wealth of new characters. There will be two distinct yet linked playable time periods, new advanced weaponry, branching storylines created by player choices in Strike Force missions, and many multiplayer options. The story takes place in the future 21st Century Cold War, where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare between old and new foes.


From everything that Treyarch has been showing the game certainly looks like it will be quite different from its predecessors, and lets face it you can only redesign the wheel so much before it becomes utterly ridiculous. That being said you can't resell the same product with a shiny new wrapper every year or two and expect people to keep coming back. Upgraded graphics, new weapons and maps, and other things might draw some people attention, but many of us crave innovation. New and exciting gameplay types and a fresh and exhilarating story are just two ways that can really make it stand out from the rest.


I personally haven't played Black Ops 2 yet, and I'm still undecided on whether I will be getting it or not. I really like everything I've seen so far, but I'll have to wait and see what others have to say before I drop yet another $60 on a Call of Duty title. What do you think, will Black Ops 2 redefine what people think of Call of Duty, or will it be branded "just another remake"? Let me know what you think in the comments below!


1 comment: